Friday night is going to be huge this week, with five of the biggest meets starting within an hour and a half of each other. No. 3 Florida starts the evening at 7 pm EST against No. 43 Missouri. It should be a no-contest meet for the Gators, especially on home turf, so it’s possible we’ll see lesser-used athletes throughout the night, giving all-arounders a bit of a rest. No. 9 Arkansas also faces No. 14 Kentucky at the same time, which should be a fun and competitive meet.
At 7:30 EST, No. 8 Georgia will host No. 24 Auburn. The Gym Dogs are coming off of a win against Arkansas and should have no problem defeating Auburn at home, but coach Danna Durante will likely want to see them improve on their scores from the first two weeks. This follows with No. 3 Oklahoma and No. 11 Denver at 8 EST with the Sooners’ first home meet of the season after two successful weeks on the road; then at 8:30, we’ll see No. 6 Alabama host No. 5 LSU in what should be the most intense meet of the night. Bama had a great debut last weekend, but have to work on form issues if they want to beat the Tigers, who have been on a roll so far this year.
Saturday starts off with a nice Big 10 match between No. 2 Michigan and No. 28 Illinois. Illinois had a rough start in Arizona last weekend, but I don’t think a conference meet at a rival school will be the answer to their early season jitters, especially as Michigan has proved to be one of the best in the country so far in 2013. Then we’ll see No. 7 Nebraska against No. 39 Michigan State; the Huskers started off the season with a loss against Michigan, but with the nerves out of the way and competing in front of a home crowd, it should be a good night for them.
Later that night, No. 15 Utah hosts a quad meet that includes No. 20 Southern Utah, No. 22 West Virginia, and No. 23 Oregon State. Utah and Oregon State, normally top ten schools, both had rough starts to the season, so they’ll need to start getting under control here in order to improve on their rankings. The Red Rocks always thrive at home, so they should likely put last week’s bars falls out of their minds, adding at least another point to their team total if they can remain consistent elsewhere.
Notably off the schedule this week is No. 1 UCLA, who return at Arizona State on January 25. No. 10 Stanford won’t see action until Monday, when they head to Georgia for a midday meet.
Here’s the schedule, with all times listed in EST. Links to all available video, radio, and live stats will be updated throughout the weekend as teams make them available.
- 7 pm. Florida | Missouri – Live Stats – Video (FREE!)
- 7 pm. Ball State | Central Michigan
- 7 pm. New Hampshire | NC State – Video ($)
- 7 pm. Kentucky | Arkansas – Video ($)
- 7 pm. Lindenwood | Southeast Missouri – Video (free!)
- 7:30 pm. Georgia | Auburn – Live Stats – Video ($)
- 8 pm. Oklahoma | Denver – Live Stats
- 8:30 pm. Alabama | LSU – Live Stats - Video ($)
- 9 pm. Boise State | Utah State – Live Stats – Video ($)
- 10 pm. Seattle Pacific | Air Force – Live Stats - Video (free!)
- 10 pm. Sacramento State | Arizona State | San Jose State
- 10 pm. Washington | Cal | Illinois-Chicago | UC Davis – Live Stats – Video (free!)
- 1 pm. Rutgers | Bridgeport | Pennsylvania | Ursinus
- 1 pm. SUNY Brockport | Springfield
- 4 pm. Michigan | Illinois – Live Stats - Big Ten Network (TV)
- 4 pm. Ohio State | Iowa – Video ($)
- 6 pm. Northern Illinois | Bowling Green – Video ($)
- 7 pm. Nebraska | Michigan State – Live Stats
- 7 pm. Centenary | UW Eau Claire | UW Oshkosh | UW Stout (Flip Fest Invitational)
- 7 pm. Penn State | Kent State | Minnesota | Towson – Video ($)
- 7 pm. Pittsburgh | Cornell | Maryland | Temple – Video ($)
- 7:30 pm. Hamline | Gustavus | Winona State (Hamline Triangular)
- 8 pm. Texas Woman’s | Arizona | Brigham Young | UW Whitewater (Texas Woman’s Quad Meet) – Live Stats – Video (free!)
- 9 pm. Utah | Oregon State | Southern Utah | West Virginia – Live Stats – Video (free!)
- 12 pm. Brown | Bridgeport | Rhode Island College | Wilson
- 1 pm. Southern Connecticut | Cornell | Ithaca | Yale
- 1 pm. Western Michigan | Eastern Michigan
- 1 pm. SUNY Cortland | West Chester
- 2 pm. North Carolina | George Washington | William & Mary
Article by Lauren Hopkins
Photo from Oklahoma Gymnastics